The celebs brought their fashion A-game to last night’s 87th Academy Awards – especially when it came to the red carpet hair! And since we’re always looking for a little “hair-spiration,” Melissa and Cynthia decided to give these Oscar-inspired hairstyles a shot.
Here are the how-to steps to help you try these looks at home, courtesy of our hairstylist Jordy. Let’s get started.
Melissa’s inspiration: Marion Cotillard’s updo
- Make a deep side part and leave a front section of your hair loose.
- Pull the rest of your hair into a low-slung, messy bun. Jordy says to place the bun on the side that is opposite from your hair part.
- Slowly start to twist the loose section of hair towards the crown of your head.
- Use the leftover hair from your twist and wrap it around the bun. Secure with a few bobby pins.
- Give it a spritz of hairspray and you’re all set!
Cynthia’s inspiration: Gwyneth Paltrow
- Start by blow-drying and then, flat-ironing your hair to get it nice and sleek. You can use a shine serum or shine spray to achieve the glossy look. The key is shine, shine, shine!
- Part your hair to the side.
- Section off two pieces of your hair — on both sides of the head. Keep them loose.
- Next, isolate a loose section of hair at the crown of your head. It should look like the makings of a hair bump.
- Pull the two front sections into a tight ponytail. Keep the ponytail under the loose top section of hair.
- Let the loose top section hang over your ponytail and voila! Stylist Tip: Smooth out any loose ends with a dab of gel to get a really straight look.